Interim managers are a growing force in the management industry. They bring considerable experience and knowledge that can be very effective in resolving an organisation’s specific problem. At NJR, we specialise in placing candidates in interim roles. They are handpicked to match the company’s needs based on a proven track record in the area, whether that is a specific sector or tackling a challenge the company faces.
Eight Simple Steps to Interim Success
When working on these projects, clients often ask us what are the key things that they should consider to ensure the Interim’s placement is successful. To answer this, we advise that they take note of the eight key steps listed below.
- Be very clear when briefing the interim management agency, so that you get the right candidate
- Ensure the interim understands your needs right from the start, and keeps within those parameters. Don’t allow mission creep, or changing of the goal posts
- Agree on set timescales for those aims
- Hold regular reviews during the assignment to ensure it is on track
- Ensure your internal team understands what the interim is going to do – and why
- Also explain that the interim is fulfilling a temporary role requiring a specific set of skills or experience: “This is someone you can benefit and learn from.” That will help to ensure that staff don’t feel threatened and want to undermine the interim, but will instead actively support their work
- The interim manager will have a wealth of experience and a valuable external perspective. Don’t be afraid to use those valuable qualities
- Promote a proper transfer of skills and knowledge from the interim manager to your team at the end of the assignment
In addition to this, we have also compiled a report which features advice from the UK’s most successful interims and interim users on how to ensure you are getting the most out of an interim manager. You can download this free, here.
If you have any other questions, or would like to discuss a position you are currently recruiting for, get in touch with a member of our team today and see how we can help, we’d love to hear from you