At Norrie Johnston Recruitment (NJR), we know that appointing a quality Non-Executive Director (NED) or Chairman is one of the most valuable decisions a business can make – with phenomenal ROI potential! But engaging the right people is key: their expertise, insight and networks are invaluable to leaders of today and tomorrow.
The best Non-Executive Chairs can strengthen the business team by helping recruit the highest calibre of executive talent. They can help attract and retain exceptional Board NED’s, mentor the CEO, foster an energetic, can-do attitude for the Board and across the organisation, manage conflict and communicate with all stakeholders.
NJR can help strengthen your Board by finding a Non-Executive Chairman, NED or Senior Independent Director who will:
- Contribute to the organisation’s strategy and impact the financial success of the company
- Demonstrate exemplary ethical standards and guide good corporate governance
- Understand the business and trading environment along with relevant regulatory and legal requirements of the business and risk mitigation
- Objectively challenge the Executive and be a useful sounding board for the CEO and CFO
We’ve found that good Non-Executive Directors are typically:
- Commercially astute, adept at ‘thinking outside the box’, with excellent financial acumen, gravitas and credibility
- Have significant experience and demonstrable career success
- Independent, interested and passionate
- Ready to challenge – yet not cross – the executive line
- Emotionally intelligent with strength of personality and charisma alongside integrity, authenticity and courage, unafraid to hold the Board to account when necessary
Our Non-Executives can support:
- SMEs: raising external investment – SME boards typically include fewer NED’s so their breadth of experience will be greater and reflect gaps that might otherwise exist in the company. They can help avoid common pitfalls during the investment process and provide credibility to investors by developing trust that is essential when securing funding. They can also guide executive reporting to achieve the quality subsequently required.
- For entrepreneurs: selling the business – whilst still running it – can be the ultimate career test, so having a NED with prior experience of the process, the challenges and stress points as well as a proven advisor network will not only increase the likelihood of success but also the value achieved.
- Board refresh – Listed companies need to refresh boards and proactively plan succession. We can help your company compete more effectively in today’s markets by addressing issues such as gender diversity, or help the company better align to its external stakeholders. Private Equity and privately owned businesses can also benefit from a Board refresh when considering new challenges and opportunities such as digital transformation and cyber security.
We have a proven track record:
- Proven capability in attracting NED talent: we have a powerful NED network and are adept at identifying those potential NED’s who will enhance your Board
- Supplied perfectly matched short-lists within weeks, reflecting diversity and other key requirements
- NJR Directors with personal experience as Non-Executive Directors or Trustees who can provide expert guidance with your search