Our client is a highly creative designer and maker of high-end artisan goods, based in North London. The company has been extremely successful and has a turnover in excess of £5m and a headcount of approaching 60 people with plans to grow to £10m turnover and 75-80 staff over the next 2 years.
The current owners are looking to step back from the day-to-day operational running of the business and focus on design together with the longer-term strategic development of the Company.
As a result, our client is seeking to recruit an experienced Managing Director to strengthen the overall business leadership and work closely with the owners in the development and delivery of the Company’s strategic plans.
The role will be rewarded with a competitive base salary, performance-based bonus and share options.
- Role: Managing Director
- Reporting to: CEO / Owners
- Job ref: NJR/GO152
- Role type: Permanent, Full-time
- Location: North London
- Salary: Competitive base salary + bonus + share options
This is a critical role in the development and leadership of the business and the MD will be accountable for the overall operations of the business. Key responsibilities will include:
• Role model the values and behaviours to set the cultural tone
• Ambassador for training and development of our people, Inspire and, promote a culture of achieving more together/teamwork
• Drive culture of continuous improvement and innovation
• Work with CEO to develop business strategy
• Develop and execute business strategies with the leadership team ensuring divisional business and operational plans are in place, with budgets, targets/KPIs and timescales. Monitor progress and report back to the board
• Drive sustainability agenda
• Management of all operational activities, ensuring all legal /environmental requirements are met or exceeded
• Develop and implement plans for operational infrastructure ie systems, processes, people to drive efficiency, creativity and growth
• Monitor and oversee financial performance, investments, making interventions where necessary to align costs and grow revenue
• Report to board on overall performance against KPI’s
• Ensure all accreditation requirements are met or exceeded
• Lead and Inspire the senior team to ensure a highly engaged, high performing and happy workforce, living the company values.
• Delegate responsibilities as appropriate to leadership team, coach, support and empower
Business Development/Sales & Marketing
• Work with Directors to establish and maintain key customer accounts.
• Work with Directors to develop commercial growth strategy and ensure that the business is geared up operationally to deliver on the strategy
• Broad operational decisions, subject to direction of CEO /delegated responsibility framework
All candidates will need to be able to demonstrate strong demonstrable experience of: leadership & management, scaling a company and working with creative and / or high-end design and make businesses.
Specific skills and experience include:
Skills and Behaviours (essential)
• Ability to lead, coach, mentor and develop others
• Excellent relationship management skills with the ability to engage, negotiate with and manage key stakeholders
• Interpersonal and influencing skills
• High-level problem-solving capabilities
• Results orientated with ability to plan and deliver
• Commercially and financially astute with experience of managing budgets & costs
• Resilient, self-motivated and able to work well under pressure
• Technical and creative mindset
• An appreciation of and an ability to positively resolve issues arising from different cultures
• Collaborative, calm kind and caring
• Professional, diligent and trustworthy
• Traditional and Sustainable
• Passionate and imaginative
Knowledge and Experience (desirable)
• Significant experience of working as an MD in the commercial sector
• Experience of working in a creative arts manufacturing environment
• Knowledge and understanding of fine arts
• Experience of working with high end luxury goods
• Experience of leading large teams
• Experience of working in a family led business
• Degree or masters in relevant qualification eg arts, management or equivalent demonstrable experience
If you are interested in the above role and believe that you have the requisite qualifications, skills and experience please send an up-to-date copy of your CV, quoting the correct job reference, your last / current salary and the date from which you are available to commence work to email@example.com.